Friday, February 26, 2010

Malaysian Steak

Kat and I decided to get Chinese massages yesterday at a place recommended by the owner of our hostel. Kat had already been there before (the day I was stuck in the bathroom) and was impressed with how hard the massage was. We Lewis girls are somewhat violent when it comes to massages. When I get a massage, I want someone to seek out and destroy those darned knots that I always have in my shoulders and upper back. I want the masseuse to show no fear--to get in there and work those little buggers out! The massages we've had in Bangladesh have been weak imitations of the pleasure and pain Zouk Spa delivered yesterday.

I opted for the 2 hour body massage for 80 ringit (~$30 USD). The massage began with the woman kneeling on my back, digging her knees into my body, and then pounding my butt. That brought me to attention and quelled any fears that this might be a wimpy massage.

My massage therapist was a tiny lady, probably in her thirty's. But she had a lot of power in her fingers, and also employed her arms, palms, and elbows in trying to work out my knots. I don't speak Malay, but I suspect she told the masseuse next to her that she'd never worked with such tough shoulders. Or maybe she was just commenting on how big my butt was. Who knows.

After two hours of being marinated in oil, pummeled, rubbed, and tenderized, I emerged feeling like a big steak. I felt worse than when I came in--but I knew it was all for the best.

Trust me, I feel better today, but I am really sore. My shoulders and upper back hurt and I think all the toxins released during the massage have lodged themselves in my throat. I believe it's clear I need to stay in KL for a few more massage sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment