Sunday, January 10, 2010

Even trying to get OUT of the country is a hassle...

Jan. 10, 2010

3:15 PM


Sitting in the Chittagong Airport. Our 3:20 flight has been delayed until 4:20. The 4:20 flight was the next flight, so that’s probably delayed until 5:20. Or they just merged the 3:20 with the 4:20 flight. I think that last conjecture is the most accurate.


I have two lovely sandwiches in my bag made with smelly French cheese Alex brought me. I don’t think I’ll be able to eat them now. Our drive here involved the driver hitting the brakes—a lot. And his brakes were pretty touchy. At one point I swear my stomach almost flew out of my mouth. Or should I say, the contents of my stomach…


7:00 PM

After finally arriving in Dhaka, we were ushered off the plane and left to stand on the tarmac for 45 minutes while being eaten alive by black swarms of mosquitoes. Why all the fuss? The prime minister was flying to India. So that meant stopping any other movement but the very slow departure of her Biman Airbus flight. Yes, the prime minister flies on a Biman (Bangladesh's infamous national air carrier) flight with other random passengers loaded on board. This is truly "Air Force One For All."

Hanging out on the tarmac with the prime minister

No comments:

Post a Comment