Sunday, March 14, 2010

Resume builder: pizza delivery

For months now I have been asking Pizza Hut here in Chittagong to deliver pizzas to our two faculty residences. I explained that we work really hard and are often too tired to cook when we get home. And that we love pizza. And that Pizza Hut could make a lot of money delivering. After the third request, the new manager said "yes, we will do that."

So I sent out a happy email to faculty with news:
Just wanted to let you know of some nifty food delivery options that are available here in Chittagong.

Pizza Hut: delivery to Panchlaish Apartment and 20C
Pizza Hut can deliver. I spoke with the manager, Md. Tanjim Uddin and he said you can call up and order, say you're from AUW, and ask to have your order delivered (explain where you live--I've given general explanations, but they may need refreshing).


I sent out the email on March 3 at 9:23 AM. That evening, I received a few responses saying "we tried it--didn't work." Around 9 pm, I received multiple phone calls from Pizza Hut. I didn't answer because you never know around here if someone is calling you to "speak English and chat." Then Tanjim sent me a long text messaging saying:
"I am so sorry ma'am. The other manager was on duty and did not know about delivery. Please call me as soon as possible. This is important."

I had friends over, and was annoyed with Pizza Hut. So I didn't answer. I texted back and said "call me tomorrow about this." I didn't hear from Tanjim the next day.

This morning something reminded me that Tanjim never called me back. I was feeling feisty and in the mood to follow up. I texted him to ask if Pizza Hut would do delivery or not. He responded saying, "Yes, we will."

So I sent out an email tonight entitled "Try again...Pizza Hut Part II." A Kansan co-worker responded: "
We did delivery to AUW campus tonight, at about 7:30. It may have been the first pizza delivery in Bangladesh."

I have to say--this may have made my month. Heck--my year! I now have something truly unique to put on my resume: "Succeeded in assisting with the implementation of pizza delivery in Bangladesh."

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha - amazing! Meanwhile my sister, currently in South Korea, posted pictures of Action Chicken Man (not sure of the real name) which is a guy who delivers fried chicken and other fast food dressed in a future-tech super-hero Power Rangers-type getup. I think both Boston and Bangladesh have a ways to go...

    :danK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, what're you talking about? Tamanna's been having Pizza Hut delivered for weeks... Did she lie to me?

    ReplyDelete